College of the Ozarks Lady Bobcats and Bobcats golf teams are set to tee off their 2019-2020 season. This is their third season under the leadership of Head Coach Chris Larsen and Assistant Coach Kim Vinton. Both teams will open the season at Rivercut Golf Course in the Evangel Fall Invitational, being held in Springfield, Missouri on September 16-17.
- Both teams showed steady improvement throughout the season.
- Top Ten Individual Finishes featured:
- Hannah Aherin – 5th in Battle at Big Creek, Tied for 6th in A.I.I. Championship, 9th in Cougar Classic
- Ashley Stanphill – Tied for 6th in A.I.I. Championship, 10th in Battle at Big Creek
- Jon Bell – Tied for 8th in Battle at Big Creek, 9th in NCCAA Regional
- Kate Voss – 8th in A.I.I. Championship, 10th in NCCAA Regionals
- Skylar Kistler, 9th in A.I.I. Championship
- Ricardo Devoto – 10th in Battle at Big Creek
- Women set their best one-day and two-day totals in program history during Spring 2019.
- Men set their best one-day, two-day, and three-day totals in program history during Spring 2019.
- The Lady Bobcats finished second and the Bobcats placed sixth in the A.I.I. Championships.
Returning for the Lady Bobcats:
- Hannah Aherin, Sophomore, Ozark (MO) –Hannah led the team in scoring average as a freshman last season. She also notched the lowest round of the year (81), placing her second all-time in program history. Naturally a long-hitter off the tee box, Aherin has focused on her short-game this off-season, making her a Lady Cat to keep an eye on.
- Skylar Kistler, Senior, Auburn (KY) – Skylar returns for her third season and looks to continue building on the progress she made last year, as she shaved off nearly ten strokes from the fall to the spring. Perhaps her hard work was most evident when she shot a team-best 89 in April’s Lyon College Invitational.
- Ashley Stanphill, Junior, Wichita (KS) – Ashley also returns for her third season after showing steady improvement in 2018-19. Stanphill finished the season playing her best golf. She recorded a 10th place finish in the Williams Baptist University Invitational and tied for 6th at the A.I.I. Conference Championships in San Antonio.
- Kate Voss, Junior, Cuba (MO) – Kate finished the year strong. She shot a personal-low round of 82 at the Williams Baptist University Invitational, earning her 3rd place in the all-time rankings for the Bobcats. Voss is playing great golf heading into her third season and will certainly be a competitor for the top spot on the team.
Lady Bobcat Newcomers:
- Bianca Cunningham, Freshman, Dallas (TX) – A decorated high school golfer, Bianca has tons of talent and tournament experience, providing her the opportunity to compete for a top spot from the start.
- Katelyn Swope, Freshman, Pea Ridge (AR) – A strong athlete and ultra-competitor, Katelyn made her mark as a three-time All-Conference and two-time All-State high school golfer in Arkansas.
Returning for the Bobcats:
- Heath Carmichael, Senior, Ozark (MO) – Heath is a three-year member of Bobcat golf ; however, this will be the first time he is able to compete in both the fall and spring seasons, having completed a very successful C of O basketball career. A noted fierce competitor, Carmichael is sure to make his mark with an entire year to devote to golf. Last season, Heath averaged a score of 83, placing him second among Bobcat returners, and posted a season-low 77 on day two of the Williams Baptist Invitational.
- Caleb Davis, Junior, Liberty (MO) – Caleb was a rock steady contributor in 2018-19. He finished second on the team in stroke average (81.6) and is slated to be one of the top two Bobcat golfers this year. Caleb scored in the 70s on seven occasions last season, shooting his best round of the season,76, at the NCCAA Regional at Auburn Hills.
- Marcos Devoto, Senior, Park Hills (MO) – Marcos is a second-year golfer for the Bobcats, who transferred from Mineral Area Junior College. Consistently scoring in the mid to low 80s, Marcos is poised to break into the 70s for the first time in team competition this season.
- Ricardo Devoto, Senior, Park Hills (MO) –Ricardo is also a second-year golfer from Mineral Area Junior College. Last season, Ricardo showed flashes of brilliance. He posted five rounds in the 70s, including a four-over-par round at the Lyon College Invitational, ranking him 5th all-time in the program’s history.
- Stuart Jacobs, Sophomore, San Antonio (TX) – Stuart was new to the team last year, and his game has been shaping up nicely during the off season. He is primed for a break-out year, as evidenced by Stuart carding two rounds in the 70s last season, including a 79 in the second round of the A.I.I. Conference Championship.
- Conner Herzberg, Freshman, Broken Arrow (OK) – Conner is a polished freshman with the ability to make an immediate impact.
- Dylan McCormick, Freshman, Cassville (MO) – Hailing from Cassville High School, Dylan was named Second Team All-Conference in golf. This season, he hopes his work ethic will help him quickly gain experience at the collegiate level.
Team Goals for this Season
Both teams are eager to open their 2019-2020 season and look to see positive results from their hard work and preseason preparation. This season’s newcomers are a great addition and are fitting in nicely.
“This is a good group of golfers with great team chemistry,” stated Chris Larsen, head golf coach, "and each one represents the College well. This season we are striving to build upon last year’s accomplishments and continue to improve each day both on and off the course.”
Best wishes to our Bobcats & Lady Cats for a great season!